The Assessment, Total Brain

My contributions: 
-User research studies
-lo fidelity wireframes
-hi fidelity wireframes
-cross team collaboration with developers and product managers
-presentations to C-suite
The Challenge

Total Brain is a mental health application that enables users to measure 4 different categories of their brain (Emotion, Self-Control, Feeling, and Cognition). The platform is centered around users taking a 20-minute assessment to determine their scores in these areas.

Our conversion on the users finishing the assessment was lower than we wanted it to be. We set out to complete the mammoth task of improving the user experience in hopes of raising the conversion. Since there were over 90+ screens that were redesigned, and it would be hard to capture the scope of all four categories, for this case study, we will be focusing on the first of the categories: Emotion.

The Process

Our personas were already established and validated (see below). As the lead designer on the project, my next step was to look at gaps in any existing research we had done, and plan for new studies as needed.

 

Step 1: I identified a few hypotheses to test and embarked on studies that included research that focused on user motivation, understanding, and receptiveness around the Total Brain Assessment. Here are some questions we asked.

Step 2: I presented our findings to the C-suite. I wanted to get the green light to move forward with making vast changes to the current assessment based on our research.

Step 3: I initiated a meeting with our developers to ensure that these changes were realistic, and that they were changes they could implement.

I explored what motivated users not only to complete the assessment, but also what would make them come back. To no surprise, we gathered that users often lacked context about how the app would benefit them. They also shared that they felt the instructions for each exercise could be more clear, and that they wanted to be able to take breaks (pause), 

Step 4: I designed lo-fidelity wireframes to present to the team to ensure everyone was on the same page about next steps.

Step 5: I designed hi-fidelity wireframes.

Step 6: I wrote user research questions to A/B test my hi-fidelity wireframes.

The Final Product

At the end of it all, we had achieved an incredibly strong, usable product that would enabled users to complete the assessment at a 2.5% higher conversion that was also more accessible and easy to use.